Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
Results 11 to 20 of 24

Thread: Problems using "Hold To Stay In Cover" and player falling through world on Markov | Forums

  1. #11
    Member
    Join Date
    Feb 2013
    Location
    Marietta, Ga
    Posts
    43
    Okay to be honest I am not sure if I am just not communicating myself clearly or you are trolling me here. As I generally do not like to assume the worst in people, I decided to have one final go at this. Below I have posted a video that shows the issue in question in much greater detail, and contrasts that with the normal in game cover mechanic.

    A few things to bear in mind with this are:

    1) In both cases I am using the exact same control scheme.
    2) I am using nearly the exact same sequence of keystrokes. (The only reason they do not look the same is because anytime I attempted to move while against a wall the game took me out of cover.)
    3) It is in exactly the same place on the same map.
    4) The only differences are that these two games took place about 2 days apart, and that I reset my key bindings before recording the second sequence.

    So given that the game quite clearly allows me to hip fire while using that specific pillar as cover without the gun model clipping into it: there are two possible conclusions that we can draw here.

    1) A bug exists with using the hold option to enter cover that periodically causes you to leave cover anytime you attempt to move or hip fire around corners.
    2) The cover system is so poorly designed that the game prevents you from being able to repeatedly perform the same actions from one game to the next.

    Now given that I have played several hundred round in game I am fairly positive that the latter is not the case. Regardless, if either is true it is a bug with the cover system that needs to be fixed.

    I created this post in the hope that it would bring said bug to the attention of Ubisoft's GRO development team so that they could perhaps fix it in a future patch.

    If you still do not agree with me on this point: then I guess we will just have to respectfully agree to disagree.

    Last edited by AlteredsEgo; 03-12-2013 at 09:54 AM.
    Reply With Quote Reply With Quote

  2. #12
    Member
    Join Date
    Feb 2013
    Location
    Marietta, Ga
    Posts
    43
    Quote Originally Posted by Dr:RM View Post
    hope you send a ticket before making this thread
    I did go ahead and submit a trouble ticket as well. I should have probably done that first, but I in part posted this to the forums because I thought it might be something someone else had submitted in the past.

    Additionally, I don't know if they allow you to submit links with support tickets (in the email they sent me in regards to my ticket is says [link removed] anywhere where I tried to provide them with a url), and I assumed that it might be easier for the developers to be able to actually see how and when these issues manifest themselves in game; as it provides them with a great deal more context when it comes to troubleshooting.
    Reply With Quote Reply With Quote

  3. #13
    Banned
    Join Date
    Sep 2012
    Posts
    1,067
    Quote Originally Posted by AlteredsEgo View Post
    I did go ahead and submit a trouble ticket as well. I should have probably done that first, but I in part posted this to the forums because I thought it might be something someone else had submitted in the past.

    Additionally, I don't know if they allow you to submit links with support tickets (in the email they sent me in regards to my ticket is says [link removed] anywhere where I tried to provide them with a url), and I assumed that it might be easier for the developers to be able to actually see how and when these issues manifest themselves in game; as it provides them with a great deal more context when it comes to troubleshooting.
    I know what you are saying and it may very well be a bug, but i don't think the bug will be with the cover system, I think its gonna be a matter of movement keys are somehow overriding the fact you're in cover while using the hold to remain option because that's what it looks like to me. You go into cover and works fine if you ads but trying to peak manually with W,A,or D it makes you start walking, and that will be a priority override set to the movement keys that shouldn't take effect when in cover no matter which method you use. Also since L shift is the default sprint have you tried using the default cover key and set space bar to the hold to remain in cover? The key bind could be tying to bug out and say you wanna sprint which would remove you from cover.

    I noticed that all of your key binds are set to the right side of the keyboard. There could simply be an error within the setting and config files that are bugging out. The only thing i could tell you to try and see if it still happens is use the default cover key which is space bar. In fact when i get in game in about 5-6 hours i will try it using mostly the default key set and see if it does the same or if its simply some form of config/key binding bug.
    Last edited by PwnJoo; 03-12-2013 at 09:58 AM.
    Reply With Quote Reply With Quote

  4. #14
    Member
    Join Date
    Feb 2013
    Location
    Marietta, Ga
    Posts
    43
    Quote Originally Posted by PwnJoo View Post
    I know what you are saying and it may very well be a bug, but i don't think the bug will be with the cover system, I think its gonna be a matter of movement keys are somehow overriding the fact you're in cover while using the hold to remain option because that's what it looks like to me. You go into cover and works fine if you ads but trying to peak manually with W,A,or D it makes you start walking, and that will be a priority override set to the movement keys that shouldn't take effect when in cover no matter which method you use. Also since L shift is the default sprint have you tried using the default cover key and set space bar to the hold to remain in cover? The key bind could be tying to bug out and say you wanna sprint which would remove you from cover.

    I noticed that all of your key binds are set to the right side of the keyboard. There could simply be an error within the setting and config files that are bugging out. The only thing i could tell you to try and see if it still happens is use the default cover key which is space bar. In fact when i get in game in about 5-6 hours i will try it using mostly the default key set and see if it does the same or if its simply some form of config/key binding bug.
    Yeah, I have kind of large hands so using WASD for movement is harder for me since those keys are all clustered together. I use arrow keys and keys on the right hand side of the keyboard for my controls since it gives me a little more space to work with. (The only down side to that is that there are unfortunately several keys on the right side of they keyboard that are not editable. Which is rather annoying I must say; as it can lead to me bringing up the chat window when I am trying to change fire rate or climb on top of something... something that is not that useful when you are trying to dodge bullets.)

    I do agree with you in terms of it may just be the movement keys overriding the cover command. However, I don't think it has anything to do with the sprint function since my character stays crouched when it happens, and I think sprint causes you to stand up. Also, I don't use my keyboard for sprinting; as I have a gaming mouse that has two shoulder buttons that I use for that and voice communications.

    I have also more or less ruled out a potential keyboard issue simply because clearing my control scheme fixes it and when it does manifest itself it does so in a persistent manner; as once the hold for cover option bugs out it does the same thing with every single object I try to use as cover. If it were related to some sort of PS2 communications problem or something mechanical to do with my keyboard: clearing the keybinds would not resolve it and/or I would see it happen more infrequently.

    Beyond that the only other outside factors that I can think of are: the fact that I am streaming and/or using alt+tab a lot. Perhaps something related to that is causing the issue. (As I could see how that might cause an issue with the game not capturing key presses properly. However, in the instances where I have had this issue occur I have tried both restarting the game and my computer, and and that does not resolve the problem; which leads me to question whether that is the case or not.)

    To be honest I have only had it happen when I have been streaming or just after I was using recording software, but because it is only happens about once a week and I have been streaming GRO a good bit: it is really hard to isolate and reliably test that as a potential cause. (And even if that does contribute to the issue, it is still something Ubisoft should fix; as people streaming GRO does promote the game and helps to potentially bring new people to the community.)

    Normally I am pretty good at debugging these kinds of things, but I really have no idea why it happens. I mean if it were simply the config file(s) or registry keys that are related to keybinds corrupting themselves somehow: then that would explain why resetting the the control scheme to default would fix it. However, if that were the case then I don't see why it would still allow me to enter cover or why zooming in cover would work.

    If it were an issue with how GRO captures keystrokes: why does it get stuck in that mode, and then why does resetting the keybinds fix it?

    And it is not like my installation of the game is in some way corrupted: as the first time I encountered this, I uninstalled the game, and the instance of it I recorded was on the new install.

    It is a really weird bug, and as I seem to be only one to have problems it makes me wonder if maybe it is something directly related to my particular hardware/software configuration. Either that, or maybe it only effects a small number of players, and I was just the first person to actually report it.

    I really don't know.

    Hopefully the developers will have a better understanding of it since they actually have access to the code and know what is happening in the background.

    Regardless, I am just happy that I figured out resetting my key config fixes it; as reinstalling the game every time it happens is sort of a pain.

    By the way, thanks for taking the time to reply Pwnjoo. I know you can't really see what keys I am pressing, and just seeing my character move does not give you much insight in regards to what I am trying to do in game. I did not mean to come across as so argumentative over this. I just knew that I was doing the same things and it was the game in some way causing the issue.
    Last edited by AlteredsEgo; 03-12-2013 at 12:26 PM.
    Reply With Quote Reply With Quote

  5. #15
    Banned
    Join Date
    Sep 2012
    Posts
    1,067
    Quote Originally Posted by AlteredsEgo View Post
    Yeah, I have kind of large hands so using WASD for movement is harder for me since those keys are all clustered together. I use arrow keys and keys on the right hand side of the keyboard for my controls since it gives me a little more space to work with. (The only down side to that is that there are unfortunately several keys on the right side of they keyboard that are not editable. Which is rather annoying I must say; as it can lead to me bringing bringing up the chat window when I am trying to change fire rate or climb on top of something... which is not that useful when you are trying to dodge bullets.)

    I do agree with you in terms of it may just be the movement keys overriding the cover command. However, I don't think it has anything to do with the sprint function since my character stays crouched when it happens, and I think sprint causes you to stand up. Also, I don't use my keyboard for sprinting; as I have a gaming mouse that has two shoulder buttons that I use for that and voice communications.

    I have also more or less ruled out a potential keyboard issue simply because clearing my control scheme fixes it and when it does manifest itself it does so in a persistent manner; as once the hold for cover option bugs out it does the same thing with every single object I try to use as cover. If it were related to some sort of PS2 communications problem or something mechanical to do with my keyboard: clearing the keybinds would not resolve it and/or I would see it happen more infrequently.

    Beyond that the only other outside factors that I can think of are: the fact that I am streaming and/or using alt+tab a lot. Perhaps something related to that is causing the issue. (As I could see how that might cause an issue with the game not capturing key presses properly. However, in the instances where I have had this issue occur I have tried both restarting the game and my computer, and and that does not resolve the problem; which leads me to question whether that is the case or not.)

    To be honest I have only had it happen when I have been streaming or just after I was using recording software, but because it is only happens about once a week and I have been streaming GRO a good bit: it is really hard to isolate and reliably test that as a potential cause. (And even if that does contribute to the issue, it is still something Ubisoft should fix; as people streaming GRO does promote the game and helps to potentially bring new people to the community.)

    Normally I am pretty good at debugging these kinds of things, but I really have no idea why it happens. I mean if it were simply the config file(s) or registry keys that are related to keybinds corrupting themselves somehow: then that would explain why resetting the the control scheme to default would fix it. However, if that were the case then I don't see why it would still allow me to enter cover or why zooming in cover would work.

    If it were an issue with how GRO captures keystrokes: why does it get stuck in that mode, and then why does resetting the keybinds fix it?

    And it is not like my installation of the game is in some way corrupted: as the first time I encountered this, I uninstalled the game, and the instance of it I recorded was on the new install.

    It is a really weird bug, and as I seem to be only one to have problems it makes me wonder if maybe it is something directly related to my particular hardware/software configuration. Either that, or maybe it only effects a small number of players, and I was just the first person to actually report it.

    I really don't know.

    Hopefully the developers will have a better understanding of it since they actually have access to the code and know what is happening in the background.

    Regardless, I am just happy that I figured out resetting my key config fixes it; as reinstalling the game every time it happens is sort of a pain.

    By the way, thanks for taking the time to reply Pwnjoo. I know you can't really see what keys I am pressing, and just seeing my character move does not give you much insight in regards to what I am trying to do in game. I did not mean to come across as so argumentative over this. I just knew that I was doing the same things and it was the game in some way causing the issue.
    basically every time you reset key binds and click apply it saves a new copy of the key bind config file.... the thing I'm wondering is that even though you have changed 90% of your keys if its not sometimes still trying to read certain key functions from the default key binds... thus sprint would be on shift and so forth..

    as for sprinting...when you press shift to sprint you don't actually stand up until you start to move....if you pay close attention to your character every time your problem occurred when you come off cover the character stood up straight but the sprinting doesn't effect side to side movement other then standing the character up straight... the reason ADS zooming worked was because you were attached to cover and ADS automatically forces you to peak around the nearest corner if you are close enough to the edge that is....

    so the only thing i can really think of is its a bug with the key binding but like i said i will try it will the default keys when i get on later this morning... if it persists you can just have your game key set on toggle and anytime you need to leave cover just hit the S or in your case down arrow or you could even hit sprint and side step off the cover and start moving on your way....those 2 options always automatically detach you from cover and in most cases simply backing away will keep you safe and give you slightly more room to look around the cover to make sure the path ahead is safe to move up
    Reply With Quote Reply With Quote

  6. #16
    Junior Member
    Join Date
    Jul 2012
    Posts
    5
    Note that if you are holding shift it will trigger you to leave cover. So my guess is you are holding shift to sprint into cover, next you hold space to stick to the wall, and since that was your last action it ignores the shift key still being held. However when you go to peak it's reading that you are trying to peak and that you are also holding shift to sprint thus taking you smoothly out of cover as its supposed to do. Try to not hold shift while holding space to peak and it should keep you in with no problems.
    Reply With Quote Reply With Quote

  7. #17
    Member
    Join Date
    Feb 2013
    Location
    Marietta, Ga
    Posts
    43
    That is certainly an interesting theory... hmmm. If I ever have that issue again I will try binding cover to another key other than shift and see if that fixes it. I know I can change keys and it does not seem to affect things. The key config rules they use are a bit odd after all, and I could see that coming into play somehow. Like you can't have one key for toggling cover, and another one for hold for cover. That is definitely something I will have to try if I get a chance in the future.
    Reply With Quote Reply With Quote

  8. #18
    Cool Dude

    Player of the Month
    April 2013
    Buck's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2012
    Location
    Louisiana
    Posts
    1,808
    With all default key settings, the issue doesn't happen.
    The reassignment of keys was designed to be used on blank keys rather than reassigning the default movement keys, which in turn would probably lead to unusual outcomes as you have described. You need to come up with a reassignment profile, that fits within the game parameters.


    Or in Senior NCO speak

    I play this sucker with several missing fingers, and she play like fine wine.
    If it ain't busted , why try to fix it and create a malfunction where there is not one to begin with.

    Now, an army is a team. It lives, eats, sleeps, fights as a team. This individuality stuff is a bunch of crap. The bilious bastards who wrote that stuff about individuality for the Saturday Evening Post don't know anything more about real battle than they do about fornicating.
    Gen. George S. Patton
    Last edited by Buck; 03-12-2013 at 01:54 PM.
    "Within organizations, customer satisfaction ratings can have powerful effects. They focus employees on the importance of fulfilling customers’ expectations. Furthermore, when these ratings dip, they warn of problems that can affect sales and profitability. . . . These metrics quantify an important dynamic. When a brand has loyal customers, it gains positive word-of-mouth marketing, which is both free and highly effective."
    Reply With Quote Reply With Quote

  9. #19
    Banned
    Join Date
    Sep 2012
    Posts
    1,067
    Quote Originally Posted by Buck View Post
    With all default key settings, the issue doesn't happen.
    The reassignment of keys was designed to be used on blank keys rather than reassigning the default movement keys, which in turn would probably lead to unusual outcomes as you have described. You need to come up with a reassignment profile, that fits within the game parameters.


    Or in Senior NCO speak

    I play this sucker with several missing fingers, and she play like fine wine.
    If it ain't busted , why try to fix it and create a malfunction where there is not one to begin with.



    Gen. George S. Patton
    there's your answer altered it has something to do with you changing the key binds...which means something about the yeti engine or maybe a setting that was put in the game needs to be adjusted to allow for better and smoother button and key customizations... since buck obviously tried with default key sets and it didn't produce the same results you are having then its simply down to something you did with the reconfiguration of all the key binds
    Reply With Quote Reply With Quote

  10. #20

    Retired Veteran of
    the Athena Council


    Player of the Month

    August 2013

    High Moose of Canadia

    Survivor of the Legendary
    Moose-Riding Beaver Apocalypse
    Cortexian's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2012
    Location
    Calgary, AB, Canada
    Posts
    5,025
    AlteredsEgo, please ignore PwnJoo he has no idea what you're trying to say and he's feeding you false information because of it.

    You seem to be correct that there's an issue while using the hold to cover mechanic and moving left or right out of cover, based on the video you provided. However depending on your keyboard, you can likely only hold down so many keys at once before keyboard "ghosting" takes effect and the keyboard stops recognizing other inputs. Generally this takes 3+ keys held at the same time to occur, and gaming keyboards generally prevent this from happening using various "anti-ghosting" technologies. You say you're using your arrow keys instead of WASD, and this might be your problem. Most keyboards have anti-ghosting "zones" setup so that you can press multiple keys at once in a certain area. WASD and the surrounding area is usually the only "zone" that anti-ghosting is applied to, so using whatever alternative mapping you're using may be the root of the issue.

    If it's not your keyboard, then it's very likely the game that's doing it unintentionally. I'll try and look into this and make a video to submit to the devs if I can recreate it. Can you take a screenshot of your key customizations and post back here please?

    Thanks for playing and reporting this issue!
    Last edited by Cortexian; 03-12-2013 at 04:52 PM.
    Reply With Quote Reply With Quote

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •