Page 7 of 11 FirstFirst ... 56789 ... LastLast

Thread: Priority 0: Fix Matchmaking or Implement Something That Doesn't Suck. | Forums

Player of the Month
    November 2012
    I guess you're right punji. I agree with you completely on the second point too. Every gun is a pure upgrade to the one before it. There has to be diversity. Have a gun kick up to Jupiter but let it have a powerful shot.
    Reply With Quote Reply With Quote

Athena Council Member
    - Volunteer

Player of the Month
    August 2013

High Moose of Canadia

Survivor of the Legendary
    Moose-Riding Beaver Uprising
    Not EVERY gun.

The ACR family is kind of a side-grade from the Mk 16 series.

Athena Council Member
    - Volunteer

Quote Originally Posted by Cortexian View Post
    Not EVERY gun.

The ACR family is kind of a side-grade from the Mk 16 series.
    Yeah, I don't even think the upgrade from Mk 16 to ACR is even worth it. The assault rifles tend to not be overly tiered, like there are some perfectly valid gun choices early on that you can use for awhile. The problem is some do not match up to the leveled up armor. The AS VAL looks like a great gun but the low damage is the deal breaker when you're fighting guys with titan Mk IV or III. It's a shame the amount of damage reduction you can achieve, there are some cool guns out there that you just can't use sometimes. There are SMGs you can get at level 1 that are pretty nice, and you'd think if they match your play style you'd be able to stick with them and get good with them, but the armor keeps you purchasing new ones.

Athena Council Member
    - Volunteer

Player of the Month
    August 2013

High Moose of Canadia

Survivor of the Legendary
    Moose-Riding Beaver Uprising
    Just solved match making.

Quote Originally Posted by Medibee View Post
    For the love of god, hire people. I don't know what you have to do just fix the matchmaking. Every single game is a complete stomp and no fun.
    Oh nice to hear that someone else is getting frustrated on this awesome matchmaking machine. I could even make a bet that it is getting worse every day. If Ubisoft actually wants to get new players and keep the old ones they need to fix it asap, not next year or the next but now.

Athena Council Member
    - Volunteer

Xx360-NoSc0p3z-MLGxX
    Quote Originally Posted by Cortexian View Post
    Just solved match making.

This would be so amazing and also will never happen I'm sure. I'd be able to sit and forgive every broken aspect of this game if it had dedicated servers.
    - NON-JUDICIAL PUNISHMENT -
    VISIT US AT WWW.NOJUICEPLEASE.COM - APPLY TODAY

(Follow me on Twitch.TV: Twitch.TV/PunjiStick)

Athena Council Member
    - Volunteer

Player of the Month
    February 2013

Mr. Postypants
    Dedicated Servers.....

That'll be a dream, wouldn't it, Poopstick?

DON'T WORRY GUYS when I take my flight to the devs castle as a co-dev, I will make sure we get more dedicated servers :3

xD
    "He never raised his voice. That was the worst thing... the fury of the Time Lord... and then we discovered why. Why this Doctor, who had fought with gods and demons, why he had run away from us and hidden. He was being kind..."
    --- subtle link: CDM.FOROS.WS ES EN ESPAÑOL Y TE VA A GUSTAR...

Actually here's the secret to enjoying the game: use your own meta-matchmaking:

Play the game enough and keep a running tally of who are the top players (in your head, or whatever works for you). Then when you get matched up, look at the players on both sides, and make a decision. If you feel that it's way lopsided just exit the game, and re-queue. Effectively this increases the wait time for you to get a game, but increases the chance of you finding a match you will enjoy.

This works well because most wins/losses are defined by the top players anyways. So if I see a team where i recognize 3 names, and the other 5 I don't.. i just count that as 3 players on my team. Vs. the other team's recognizable "good players". Then i make a determination on if it's 3v3, 3v4.. 4v5.. and then make my decision if i want to play it.

It's a very basic algo (that even us humans can manually implement.. without needing huge amounts of data). If you play even a little you will start recognizing the good players very easily: Bourne and the HvK crew, of course, NJP, some 404/ATP guys, etc.

Off the cuff.. i'm about 70% accurate with my own "in my head" meta match making, in determining the outcome of any game based on just the first 10 seconds of switching from "squad" to "match" chat and eyeing the list of players. 20% of the time I'm wrong, but it's a close fight.. and 10% of the time, I'm just waay off.. sometimes you get a random guy like Veolys that hotjoins that throws off the game, but that's o.k. All in all it's a good method.

I quit out at about 50% of the games.. sometimes it's just completely whacky.. like full HvK+ATS team against a bunch of noobs: a 8v1 basically.. so something is obviously broken with matchmaking.

Anyways, this works well for solo players like me... that is until they have some penalty for quitting games at start (hopefully they don't do that until they fix matchmaking). Admittedly, this may have scalability problems if everyone did this..
    Last edited by Sarcyn; 02-24-2013 at 04:20 AM.

Noviwan
    Just want to say this is a great thread, lots of good ideas here.

No one on the dev team thinks matchmaking is perfect. I agree with those who say there is no easy fix. That said, we will fix it. So please, keep this conversation going. There are some good ideas here about level bracketing and such, but don't be afraid to dream big too. What would your perfect GRO matchmaking experience be like?

Sarcyn's post above is interesting. Not that I encourage you to quit, but it's a principle I'm thinking about a lot ... to give you information and tools to make your own decisions about match quality vs. waiting time. For example, should hotjoins be an offer to you rather than automatic? And if they were refusable, what information about the match would you want to know to make that decision?

Page 7 of 11 FirstFirst ... 56789 ... LastLast